Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blog # 5 Literature Circles

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blog # 5 Literature Circles
The implementation of the literature circle in my kindergarten class did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. I started the process just last week. My students are still struggling with the overall process. I wonder if more time and practice would make a difference? I choose the book Carlos and the Squash Plant hoping that this story would facilitate language and discussion. The literature circle consisted of four of my students who are at a level 4 and 5 in reading. These four students are often my most expressive students. Overall, I was quiet disappointed with the process.

The students seemed to enjoy the story about a little boy who did not tell the truth about taking a bath. They laughed and were very attentive when I was reading the book. They especially liked the colorful pictures and the Spanish words that were in the text. When a Spanish word would appear they would perk up and would giggle at my best attempt to pronounce the word correctly.

When dicussing the book, I had to pull words out of them at best. I tried to facilitate more language and discussion by pointing out events or pictures I thought that they could relate too. First of all, I started out about taking baths. I just going simple reponses and general answers. This has been my experience throughout the year. My students lack of vocabulary and exposure has hindered their ability to fully express themselves. However, when I asked the students to draw a picture of one of something that they remembered about the story, they were more able to express themselves through drawing. I found that they more comfortable and expressive through their pictures.

I am not real sure how appropriate Literature Circles are for ELL students. Especially kindergarten students. It is quiet hard for me to make that decision as my experience with the circle process is quiet limited. I feel that more time is needed to fully develop the process. I am going to continue the process throughout the remainder of the school year to see if progress is noted.

The changes that I would make would be to vastly modify the jobs of the participants. My students due to their language abilities were not able to faciliate many of their duties within the circle.

Choosing literature that is enjoyable and easily understood is a must when conducting literature circles. I would also suggest implementing and practicing the roles and process of literature circles over a course of time. In my opinion, the practice will enhance the success of the students involved and the overall general success of the literature circle.

MTSU Honor Statement:
This assignment/assessment was solely written by me. In no way have I plagiarized (represented the work of another as my own) or otherwise violated the copyright laws and academic conventions of fair use. I know that violations of this policy may result in my being dismissed from Middle Tennessee State University and/or appropriate legal action being taken against me.
Signed (submitting this statement to Teaching Faculty with student’s name typed below constitutes signing):
Cindy Mann
April 20, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment